Asturias Museum of Fine Arts Oviedo
The Asturias Museum of Fine Arts in Oviedo is spread over several buildings in the city’s historic centre: Palazzo Velarde dating back to 1765, Casa di Oviedo-Portal built in 1660 and the new extension building inaugurated this year.
Following aggregation of the annexed buildings in a renovation project by architect Francisco Mangado, which respected the historic features of those buildings, the Museum grew until one of its facades reached the large expanse of Oviedo’s Cathedral Square.
The architect focused on keeping the urban image, preserving the buildings’ facade and opting for a new architecture combining glass and aluminium. The main aim of the project was to guarantee the neutrality of the materials, paying particular attention to lighting. The space and lighting were project priorities, in order to do justice to a collection of important works. Basically, the outside of a major luminous structure - half glass and half aluminium - was completed, projecting outwards and overlapping the urban history. This gave the Museum a strong yet complex look.
The Museum has a display area of around 4,500 square metres, used to show the great artistic heritage it contains. That allows the museum to become an active and revitalising element of Asturias culture.
The sublime architecture of the Asturias Museum of Fine Arts was lit using the Palco LED system for museum spaces, in collaboration with the Metalux Iluminación store. The lighting respects the colour quality of the works displayed, enhancing their meaning and guaranteeing that they are a pleasure to see.